Last year, Rob Rekosh didn't leave the Frankfort Amateur Rib Cook-Off empty-handed. The BMW technician from Mokena and his four-person cooking crew, The Full Slabs, won the Crowd Pleaser Award, which is voted on by the attendees of the event.
This year, though, Rekosh wanted to place a little higher. And he got his wish: The Full Slab took home the top spot in the cook-off.
Around 400 people turned out to the event in the parking lot Saturday, Aug. 4, to taste—and vote on—the ribs cooked by 16 competitors coming from as far as Huntley. Proceeds from the event go to the Frankfort Area Jaycees and the Frankfort Lions Club, two of the organizations that sponsored the cook-off along with the .
The winners of the cook-off were:
- First place: The Full Slabs from Mokena
- Second place: S'Mokena from New Lenox
- Third place: Metalli-Que from Mokena
- Crowd Pleaser Award: South Side Pit Men from Oak Forest
This was the first time competing in the event for S'Mokena and Metalli-Que. .
The judges for the event were Frankfort Village Clerk Bob Kennedy, State President of the Jaycees Joanne Rinaldo and Frankfort Area Jaycees President Shelly Tryon.
Check out the video in the media gallery for interviews with Rekosh, the judges and Steve Kwasiborski of the South Side Pit Men, as well as highlights from the cook-off.
Pick the Best of the Best in Frankfort With Our Readers' Choice Awards:
Two Ways to Stay Connected to Frankfort Patch:
- Subscribe to our newsletters to have headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox.
- "Like" our Facebook page for updates throughout the day.