In more than 30 years living in Frankfort, John and Judy Herder have built a formidable reputation for their volunteerism throughout the community.
But all that volunteering, however, has meant helping out the village in individual roles.
That's why being named grand marshals for the Frankfort Fall Festival 2012 Labor Day is a doubly special honor. Not only odes it underscore the couple's community service—a criteria for choosing the grand marshal—the honor also is something they can share together.
"It's nice when you get this kind of opportunity," John Herder said Sunday after the grand marshal announcement during the event on .
Revealing the 2012 grand marshals during that particular concert was intentional and significant, said Fall Fest chairwoman Cindy Heath, who brought the couple onstage for the announcement. Judy is one of the key organizers of the summer event, while John performed with the and the Joliet American Legion Band, the two groups that played during this special Fourth of July-oriented Concerts on the Green.
"It's a perfect night to announce this," Heath said as she introduced the couple.
For the Herders, being named grand marshals isn't simply another notch on their community service belt. It's an honor that holds a special distinction, given how robust Frankfort's circle of volunteers is.
"Frankfort is so full of volunteers, it could be anybody who was chosen [to be grand marshal]," Judy said.
"It's a great honor, and I hope to live up to the acclaim," John told the Concerts on the Green attendees from Breidert Green's stage.
Here's a look at some of the roles and achievements the Herders have accumulated over the years.
- Former president
- Chief for Frankfort's former volunteer fire department
- Served as a trustee on the 's and Frankfort Preservation Foundation over the years
- Performs with the
- President of the
- Vice president for the Frankfort Preservation Foundation
- Board member for Operation Playground, which built Fort Frankfort and supported the creation of , among other projects
- Member of the Concerts on the Green Committee and the Friends of the group
- Active Frankfort chamber of Commerce volunteer
Editor's Note: Unfortunately, no one correctly guessed the 2012 grand marshals as part of .
YOUR TURN! What do you think of John and Judy Herder being selected as grand marshals for the 2012 Labor Day Parade during Frankfort Fall Festival? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
What's Your Favorite Frankfort Business? Nominate it in :
Two Ways to Stay Connected to Frankfort Patch:
- Subscribe to our newsletters to have headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox.
- "Like" our Facebook page for updates throughout the day.