The past year for Moraine Valley Community College has been one of interesting developments.
Sylvia Jenkins, the Palos Hills-based college's new president, spoke about developing it as a place welcoming to everyone. She talked with Sun-Times Media about ways to improve the college in the coming months and years. Moraine Valley serves 26 communities in south suburbs.
One area which likely will be seen as an improvement to the campus sprouted in December.
Construction began on a Health Wellness and Education Center, which is modeled after similar facilities at two universities. It's expected to be completed by 2014.
Four spots are up for the April elections on the college's Board of Trustees. Three of the openings are for six-year terms and one is for a two-year term.
Here are the candidates who have submitted petitions:
Three to be elected to the full term (six years)
- John Brosnan Donahue, Orland Park
- Sandra S. Wagner, Palos Hills*
- John Schiera, Palos Park
- Ricardo A. Fernandez, Orland Park
- Joseph P. Murphy, Blue Island*
- Eileen M. O’Sullivan, Oak Lawn
- Gary D. Lewis, Bridgeview
One to be elected for the unexpired term of two years:
- Andrea Ramirez-Justin, Orland Hills*
- Joseph A. Skibinski, Oak Lawn
- Tom Cunningham, Orland Park
Source: Moraine Valley Community College