Seniors who want a smaller property tax bill should attend one of the
Frankfort Township Assessor's Senior Freeze Days.
It’s a great way to make sure a tax bill is as low as it can go.
This year’s Senior Freeze Days are from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on April 5 and April 24 at the 11000 W. Lincoln Highway, Frankfort.
“We want to help the seniors out,” Joe Kral, Frankfort Township assessor said. “We want them to be able to take care of this without going to the County Office Building in downtown Joliet. We want to make sure they have all the assistance they need.”
Kral will have additional workers at his office to help home owners complete the forms to request the exemptions. The application process itself takes about 10 minutes.
Here’s how it works: If you are 65 or older, there are two ways to lower your property tax assessment. The Senor General Homestead Exemption will reduce an assessed valuation by about $4,000. That typically cuts about $320 from a property tax bill. The home must be the senior’s primary residence, however.
An eligible home owner makes one request for this exemption. Then it is applied year after year.
The Senior Assessment Freeze fixes – or freezes – the assessment at a particular number. If property values go up, the assessment will not go up with them. There are some requirements:
- Seniors must apply for this exemption before July 1 of each year.
- The home owner must be 65 or older.
- The home owner must have an income of less than $55,000 a year.
- The home owner must show a copy of the federal 1040 income tax form or other proof of income.
- The home owner must file federal income tax forms before requesting the Senior Assessment Freeze for that year.
If a home owner has a Senior Assessment Freeze and the property value drops, the assessor will make a corresponding decrease to the assessment to reflect the current market value.
For more information about Senior Freeze Days, call (815) 464-3180.
Get news alerts and Facebook updates from these Patch sites:
- New Lenox newsletter and New Lenox Patch Facebook