A group of Frankfort and Mokena children saved the day when they saw flames coming from a home across the street and jumped into action.
On Friday, a spark set fire to a home in the 200 block of Mulberry Court in Frankfort. The group of kids, aged 12 to 17, were hanging out across the street and saw smoke and flames coming out of the chimney.
Dustin Dawson, 17, who lives across the street, spotted the flames and got help from his friends to call 911 and start throwing snow up toward the fire along with Mark Fitzgerald. Meanwhile, Dawson's 12-year-old brother Nick, a member of Boy Scouts Troop 49 in New Lenox, ran into the home to notify the family.
Randy LeGrand, his wife and their pet dog made it out safely and unharmed. LeGrand said that before the kids came up to the home, they hadn't smelled any smoke.
"They're the heroes," LeGrand said. "They saved the day."
The group of teens also included Karam Hamoud, 16, of Mokena; James Ott, 18, of Mokena; Todd Dawson, 18, of Frankfort; and Mike Dawson, 15, of Frankfort.
The was called to the scene to put out the fire. Departments from Mokena, Manhattan, New Lenox and Tinley Park assisted.
Although the family was safe, there was lots of damage to the second story of the home. LeGrand said the roof was destroyed and two rooms upstairs were torn apart and had lots of water damage.