The Will County Board held its monthly meeting on April 18, 2013. Here are the highlights from that meeting:
- Waste Management presented a $1500 check to the Juvenile Drug Court Program.
- The Board approved several land use special use permits. Of particular note, was a request for Special Use Permit for Sports and Recreation. Matter concerned 55,125 square foot area, located in an industrial building located near the intersection of Schoolhouse and Laraway Road in New Lenox Township.
- The Board voted to table a resolution authorizing the County Executive to execute a commitment to the Illinois Cool Counties Program. Currently, only one other county, DuPage, as agreed to support a similar resolution. Some Board members expressed concern about the language of the Resolution and asked that a presentation on the same made before the entire board at next month's meeting.
- Numerous resolutions were passed authorizing approval of professional services agreements for local road projects. Monies obtained through the RTA tax funds were used to fund these projects.
- On a more contentious note, by a 13-11 vote (with 2 Republican members absent due to conditions caused by heavy rainfall in the Naperville area) the Board approved a Resolution Adopting the Five-Year Transportation Improvement Program known as the Will County Transportation Improvement Program FY 2013-2018. The Republican caucus expressed some concerns regarding the financing of the project through the RTA tax. While 100% of the RTA is currently used for road and bridge projects, the Republican caucus challenged the need to fund road and bridge repair by using 100% of the RTA tax funds since some of those funds may also be used capital projects involving public safety. Public safety projects being considered at this time is renovation to current sheriff police and courthouse facilities.
- A resolution was passed at the request of the Capital Improvements Committee to pay for emergency repairs at the Will County Health Department.
The next Will County Board meeting is Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 9:30 a.m. in the County Board Room, 2nd Floor of the Will County Office Building located at 302 N. Chicago Street, Joliet, Illinois. All Will County residents are invited to attend.